Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 2 Queens Park

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 0 Queens Park

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Ward, Lennie.
Queens Park scorers: Logan, Davidson

25/09/1905 | KO: 12:30

Scottish League game, played at Pittodrie yesterday before 7000 spectators. Teams: Aberdeen - MacFarlane; Murray, Gault; Halkett, Strang, W. Low; Robertson, Hilton, Ward; Edgar, Lennie. Queen's Park - L. H. Skene; G. Higgins, A. Richmond; J. Smith jun., M. B. Houston, J. F. Thomson; ILMcD Paul, W. W. Tennent, T. A. Miller, H. Logan, W. Davidson
Aberdeen opened strongly, and after five minutes? bombardment of Queen's citadel Ward opened the scoring. Following a short spell of attacking by the visitors, Aberdeen again took the game in hand, and fifteen minutes later Lennie scored goal number two. Right up till the close of the period the homesters held the upper hand, and but for the excellent defence offered by Higgins, Richmond and Skene, would undoubtedly have increased their lead before the interval. Queen's improved greatly in the second period, while Aberdeen deteriorated. After a prolonged pressure on the home citadel Logan beat MacFarlane with a brilliant shot, which gave the custodian not the ghost of a chance of saving. Following this success there was no keeping the "Spiders" in, and in a scrimmage resulting from a corner Davidson equalised six minutes from the close. Result:- Aberdeen, two goals, Queen's Park, two.

Source: Unknown, possibly The Scotsman 26-09-1905

The Aberdeen team had as their opponents at Pittodrie yesterday the famous Queen's Park from Glasgow, the event being a Scottish League fixture. The Queen's travelled north with their full league team, and as they were defeated at Dundee on Saturday they were determined to go back to Glasgow with a couple of points at the expense of Aberdeen. The weather was ideal, and the pitch, although somewhat soft with morning rain, was in fairly good condition. The spectators at the start numbered over 7000. Queen's Park were heartily cheered when they appeared on the pitch, looking very smart in their black and white striped jerseys. There were several changes in the Aberdeen team, Hilton playing inside right, and Edgar inside left, while Ward got his place at centre forward owing to McNicol having sustained injuries at Airdrie. W. Low took H. Low's place, and Murray played at back instead of Willox.
The teams were:-Aberdeen: Macfarlane; Murray, gault; Halkett, Strang, W Low; Robertson, Hilton, Ward, Edgar, Lennie.
Queen's Park: Skeen; Higgins, Richmond; Smith, Houston, Thompson; Paul, Tennant, Miller, Logan, Davidson.
Referee - Mr. R. T. Murray, Stenhousemuir.

Aberdeen won the toss, and played towards the west, with the sun in their eyes. Queen's kicked off, and at once the ball went out to Robertson, who made off on the Aberdeen right. Ward dashed in, but just failed to get his head on the ball. Aberdeen were as lively as eels, and for 5 minutes Queen's Park were completely hemmed in. Skene saved a high shot at the expense of a corner. In a scrimmage, Richmond, the Queen's left back, did grand work with his head. Queen's Park were very rugged in their methods, and could not pierce the Aberdeen half-back line. A bye brought relief. Ward was very bustling, and seemed anxious to score. The Aberdeen half-backs lay about 40 yards out from the Queen's goal, and returned the ball most effectively. Gault made a splendid return, and Ward slipped past Higgins. The ball rolled slowly towards Skene, but the Queen's goalkeeper remained in goal until it was too late, so that when he did come out, Ward, dodging to the right, had but to slip the ball gently into the net, thus scoring the first goal for Aberdeen, the crowd cheering with great gusto. This early reverse wakened up the Glasgow men, and they attacked briskly, Macfarlane saving a great shot from the right amid the cheers of the spectators. Queen's now pressed hard, and the Aberdeen defence had plenty to do. Some big kicking by the Queen's backs kept play well in mid-territory. Lennie was pulled up for offside when he was making away with the clear field. From a throw-in Aberdeen got into Skene's neighbourhood, the ball repeatedly going into touch. Lennie and Edgar were working very neatly together, but they were closely watched. Ward was in dashing form, and repeatedly broke through the Queen's defence. The Queen's right wing getting the better of W. Low, the amateurs ran down on Macfarlane, who saved skilfully. For a few minutes Queen's were dangerous, Richmond's big kicking allowing them to lie well down on the Aberdeen backs.


The game was stopped for a few seconds, and from a throw-up ward got the ball. He was blocked by Richmond, but got through, and passed the ball ahead. Lennie, dashing in from the left, completely beat Skene with a low, fast shot. Aided by the splendid work of the half backs, the Aberdeen forwards again burst through the amateurs' defence, Ward passing the ball in deadly fashion across the Queen's goal. Edgar and Lennie just failed to get their heads on the ball. Ward, Lennie, and Edgar were prominent in the Aberdeen attack, their footwork being really clever. Halkett next tried a shot at Skene, and the goalkeeper had great difficulty in holding the ball. Queen's were continuously hemmed into their own territory, their half-backs failing to hold the clever Aberdeen forwards, backed up by as they were by the steady play of Halkett, Strang, and W. Low. Play was stopped owing to an injury sustained by Edgar, who was carried off the field. When play was resumed, Ward was neatly stopped by Houston, who a minute later ran across to tackle Lennie on the run, and gave away a corner. The ball was sent away from Queen's quarters, but was immediately brought up by Hilton, whose tricky and resolute play caused Richmond much anxiety. A foul against the Queen's was placed short by Wilfred Low, and Davidson the Queen's outside left, was off with a clear field, when he was smartly brought up by Murray. Aberdeen returned to the attack, Ward's head being much in evidence in working forward passes from the half-backs. Murray again stopped the Queen's forwards in resolute style. Notwithstanding the fact that they were playing with only 10 men, Aberdeen had all the play so far as pressing was concerned. Queen's Park's display was certainly not worthy of their reputation, combination on their side being conspicuous by its absence. Edgar returned to the field and was loudly cheered. For the first time in 20 minutes Macfarlane got his hands on the ball, but there was half of field's length between him and the nearest "spider." Notwithstanding that they had the sun in their eyes, the Aberdeen half backs were playing an almost perfect game. Edgar working the ball to the penalty line, shot with terrific force, Skene getting his knuckles on the leather just on the bar. The ball skiffed across, and Skene again got his hands upon it, but in doing so collided with Hilton who was on the spot, and fell striking his face on the ground. Skene give away a corner, but the save was very skilfully effected. From the corner, well placed by Robertson, Queen's got the ball away, but immediately Ward returned with it. Tackled by Higgins, Ward trickily outwitted the back and drove hard at the net, the ball just grazing the upright. The Pittodrie forwards were again working their way westwards when the whistle blew for half-time with the score - Aberdeen, 2; Queen's Park, 0.


When the game was resumed, there were about 8000 spectators. Aberdeen now had the sun behind them, but they had to face a slight breeze. When the ball was kicked off, the Queen's Park forwards at once bore down on the west goal. Gault cleared weakly, but Strang made "siccar." The "Spiders," however, were not to be shaken off until they had broken the defence a bit. A long, swinging pass out of Lennie lead to a race between the Queen's goalkeeper and the Aberdeen outside left. Skene got there first, and kicked the ball up the field. A minute later Skene had again to handle. Davidson and Logan, the Queen's left wing, frequently worked their way towards Macfarlane, but the raid was stopped by Davidson being given offside. Gault was again prominent for resourceful work close in. An anxious moment ensued in front of the Aberdeen goal, but ultimately Murray got the ball away, and Davidson brought relief by banging the ball skywards when he might have scored. Queen's were now pressing very hard, especially on the left; but Murray was unbeatable. Macfarlane was loudly cheered for a magnificent save. Gault was beaten by Paul, who crossed the ball in a dead line about nine feet from the goal. Quite a group of the Glasgow forwards were hovering around eager for goals. "Rab" sprang at the ball, stopped it on the ground, and, jinking his opponents kicked down the field. Strang, with blocking work, stopped a promising Queen's Park run, and he tried Skene with a high shot, which the goalkeeper returned. Edgar and Lennie gave the crowd considerable amusement by the way the tricked the defence opposed to them, and Richmond had to thank his speed for his recovery work. Aberdeen now had a spell of the pressure, and Ward just failed to get a clean parting shot. The game was being very earnestly fought out, Queen's having quite as much of the play as their opponents. The amateurs were very eager for goals, but the local backs and half-backs were too much for them. Davidson, after beating Murray, tried a shot from the touch line, and Rab gathered himself together for a spring; the ball, however, struck the side of the net. Going to the other end, Lennie ran through the Queen's defence, but, with remarkable speed, the Queen's went to the other end, and Gault, hard pressed, had to give away a corner. Davidson centred accurately, and the ball bobbed about until Macfarlane gave away a corner in endeavouring to clear his lines. Macfarlane now had a little exhibition on his own. He ran out to meet an attack, and getting the ball thirty yards out he sent it into the Gallowhill Gardens, for which feat he was ironically cheered. A minute later, however, he saved a low shot from Millar. A miskick by Gault nearly let in the Queen's forwards, but the promising young Aberdeen back recovered, and kicked into touch. In the last half-hour of the game, the Queen's Park physically superior to the Aberdeen team gradually, but nonetheless surely, wore down the Pittodrie defence. Hot and flurried, the Aberdeen half-backs and backs frequently made mistakes. Strang and Wilfred Low and Murray being specially noticeable for slackness. Forward, Lennie was as lively as ever, few passes went the way of Robertson and Ward, Edgar and Hylton were weak. Gault and Murray kicked out resolutely, but the Queen's Park pressure was so keen and well directed and disaster was sooner or later bound to the fall the Aberdeen goal. Gault was the hero of the game - he was here, there, and everywhere, showing great resource, his only weakness being reckless punting. Murray was not so effective, and seemed to be suffering from the pace. Two long shots by Houston were well saved by Macfarlane. Fair-haired and sturdy Houston was a great force in the Queen's Park attack, and he and Richmond were mainly responsible for maintaining the pressure on the Aberdeen goal. A shot from Davidson's foot struck the cross-bar. Murray's returns were weak, and were invariably picked up by Houston. At last, after many tries, the Queen's scored in a scrimmage. Gault missed his kick, and the ball going to Logan, that player shot high. Macfarlane, who was about a yard out of his goal, just failed to get his fingers on the ball, which glanced off the underside of the cross-bar into the net. Excitement now arrose to fever heat, the fierce struggle in the field being intensified by the shouting of the spectators. The Aberdeen were hopelessly hemmed in, and only occasionally broke away on a straggling run. Amidst the heat and flurry of the fray, Macfarlane remained as cool as a cucumber. Lennie on one occasion got off, closely attended by Richmond. A corner followed, but the Queen's forwards were soon of the other end. Paul, on the run, beat Gault all the way, and raced off with the ball. Macfarlane came out of his goal, and coolly awaited the onrush. Nearing Macfarlane, Paul shot on the run, and the clever Aberdeen goalkeeper coolly caught the ball in its flight over his head, and received a tremendous cheer for his brilliant save. Hard pressed, Wilfred Low gave away a corner, and a fierce scrimmage ensued in the Aberdeen goal. The players were all in a bunch - some kicking out, others kicking in. At last Davidson saw an opening, and banged the ball into the net, thus equalising the score. In the scrimmage Murray was laid out. He was injured about the head, but was able to resume. Queen's look like scoring again, but, to the relief of the Aberdeen's supporters, the whistle blew with the score - Aberdeen, 2; Queen's Park,2. The score fairly indicates the run of the play. Aberdeen claiming the honours in the first half, while the Queen's Park held the upper hand in the second half. The drawings, including stands, amounted to £192.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 26th September 1905

Queens Park Teamsheet
L. H. Skene; G. Higgins, A. Richmond; J. Smith jun., M. B. Houston, J. F. Thomson; ILMcD Paul, W. W. Tennent, T. A. Miller, H. Logan, W. Davidson
Attendance: 8,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. R. T. Murray, Stenhousemuir
Next Match
27 Apr 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen